Seasonal Field Technician
Treeswift’s mission is to build the sensory and data platform for nature. We provide forest inventories using our unique sensor suite and machine learning. By leveraging technology for efficient data collection and processing, Treeswift helps the world better understand our forests.
About this role
We are seeking a mission-oriented Field Technician excited about deploying to Treeswift client locations and leveraging cutting edge technology to collect forest inventories. You will be responsible for operating Treeswift technology which includes recording terrestrial LiDAR data. You will work closely with members of the technical and field operations teams to execute data collection services in forests spanning thousands of acres.
In this position, you will be the first to pioneer Treeswift technology in the field. You have the mindset to get the job done and encourage your teammates to do the same. You enjoy working in forests in adverse weather conditions and in remote locations. You are energized by being the first to use and establish new technologies.
The field technician is a seasonal employee. Health insurance is not offered during this employment term.
What you’ll do
- Collect forest measurements using traditional methods and terrestrial-based LiDAR sensors across the United States, primarily in the Southeast. Our current system is worn like a backpack but may evolve over time.
- Plan field operations according to weather, environmental, or other conditions.
- Partner with product managers, engineers, and operations team members to identify and solve problems.
Workdays involve an average of 7 hours in the field, not including the commute to the site. Additionally, after returning from the field, tasks related to offloading data, preparing for the next field day, communicating with staff, and shared household chores may be required. Some days will involve traveling from one project location to another. Typically the team will work Monday through Friday, though this may vary depending on project needs and initial training schedule.
Location of Work
Treeswift has projects around the United States. Depending on your location, availability, and active Treeswift projects, we can try to find a fit for you.
- Willingness and ability to travel around the United States (this job is nearly 100% travel to client locations).
- Comfortable operating independently in the field and maintaining operational tempo through bad weather and rough terrain.
- Ability to plan and execute operations safely in remote locations.
- Resourcefulness and ingenuity in problem solving unique challenges that arise in the field.
- Excitement about learning, applying, and improving new technologies.
- Experience timber cruising is a plus.
- You will be required to follow Treeswift’s safety policy.
- You must be able to carry a 25 lbs backpack while traveling up to 8 miles on steep terrain without trails.
- If you bring your own vehicle, you will be responsible for moving your vehicle between project sites.
Benefits & Perks
- Compensation of $4150/month
- Transportation, groceries, and lodging provided while on-site
- Growth opportunities within Treeswift