Western Regional Forester
Treeswift is building a new data and monitoring system for the natural world by pushing the frontier in robotic and machine learning technology. Our mission is to capture higher quality, more verifiable forest data than what current methods provide, and to equip foresters with new tools to efficiently collect forest data at large scales. We provide forest inventories, which are powered by our first-of-its-kind robotic and machine learning technology. Treeswift helps the world better understand our forests.
We are a mission-driven company that places our customers' needs front and center. We are solving problems that no one has solved before, so having an innovative mindset with an excitement for diving deep into the messiness of real-world challenges is critical. The ideal candidate should be excited to make contributions to forestry technology and to learn about forestry robotics and next-generation timber cruising.
About this role
We are looking for a Regional Forester located in the Western US excited about supporting field operations by leveraging cutting edge technology to collect forest inventories. You will assist in the planning and execution of large-scale forest inventory projects across the region, and potentially nationwide. You will learn how to operate Treeswift technology, which includes collecting terrestrial LiDAR data, and train new field technicians and outside contractors on its use. You will work closely with members of the engineering and field operations teams to execute large-scale timber cruising services.
As a member of the Field Operations Team, you will collect specific forest metrics that Treeswift provides to landowners by utilizing our technology and through traditional measurement techniques. You have the mindset to get the job done and encourage your teammates to do the same. You enjoy working in forests in adverse weather conditions and in remote locations. You are energized by being the first to use and establish new technologies. In this role, you will join a growing team working to build forestry’s tools of the future. You must be able to travel within the United States to different forest locations.
What you’ll do
- Manage large-scale forest inventory projects regionally and occasionally nationwide
- Travel to project locations to train, support, and supervise Treeswift field technicians and outside contractors
- Collect forest measurements using traditional methods and Treeswift’s technology, which may include the Swiftpack cruise backpack, a terrestrial-based high-resolution sensor suite made specifically for measuring trees
- Gain exposure to professional forestry and industry-leading forestry technology being applied to large-scale cruises across the US
- Learn and adhere to safe forestry and field work practices.
- Work directly with Treeswift’s Operations Team and also across the organization with our Engineering and Data teams to give feedback and contribute to developments in our technology
What we look for:
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in Forestry or related field with 5 years of experience OR equivalent combination of education and experience (8 years).
- Knowledge of western forestry practices and inventory methodologies for timber and carbon
- Ability to develop, prioritize, plan, implement and manage activities to meet targets and deadlines with occasional extended work periods and weekend work.
- Ability to plan and execute operations safely in remote locations.
- Experience in project management and contract compliance
- Willing to work independently in a work from home setting, and travel to destinations in the field. Minimum of 50% (up to 75%) of work time is spent in the field and necessitates working in all types of weather conditions and terrain.
- Knowledge and use of ArcGIS, QGIS, mobile GIS, and cruising applications preferred.
- Resourcefulness and ingenuity in problem solving unique challenges that arise in the field.
- Excitement about learning, applying, and improving new technologies
Benefits & Perks
- Fully remote position located between San Francisco and Seattle
- Competitive salary and growth opportunities
- Flexible vacation policy
- Flexible parental leave policy
- Comprehensive, 100% medical and life insurance benefits
- Equity stock options package